Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"All this has happened before. All this will happen again."

If you've hung around me recently you may have become aware that I'm a fan of Battlestar Galactica (BSG from here on out) and I recently caught up to the rest of the geeks and finished the series. I'm not going to talk about how I felt about the ending here, let's just say I wasn't as thrilled as I expected to be. What I am going to talk about is how it seems I can't not have a tv show to obsess over.

I have never had cable outside of my parents house. In college I didn't even own my own tv. These days I do have a tv and dvd player, but no channels. This will change soon but for now it means that I watch tv shows online, on dvd, or at my boyfriend's place. This is why I was behind on BSG. It's also why I lost touch with my favorite show of all time, though I'm slowly building my GG library (though I have already watched them all multiple times online). And, most noteably for this post, it's why I never started watching Lost. Until now.

The thing about BSG is that it consistently blew my mind and had such amazing cliff-hangers that I couldn't wait to start the next episode. And since I was watching them on dvd, so long as I had the next disc, I didn't have to. I even upped my Netflix account from two-at-a-time to three-at-a-time so I never had to wait. And once I finished everything that had been released on dvd, I promptly bought the rest of the series on iTunes. I dreamed scenes from it, I related everyday situations to it, I thought about it non-stop when I wasn't parked on my couch actually watching it.

You might imagine this left a pretty big void in my life once I got to the end of it. And you'd be right. Enter Lost. My boyfriend is a big fan, as is one of our mutual friends who was also into BSG (not to mention the rest of the country). I tried hard to wait. I knew I'd like it once I started it, but I also knew it'd probably be healthier if I gave myself a break from addictive tv. Alas, my boyfriend is a total enabler and borrowed the whole first season from a friend for me. I'm 7 episodes in and all I could think of at work today is how long I had to wait before I could get back to it again.

*The title of this post, of course, is a majorly repeated quote from BSG that creator Ron Moore stole from Peter Pan. And it makes me wonder, what show will I watch obsessively after I catch up with Lost? Will I ever just watch a show as it airs? Would that be as satisfying? Who the heck knows...

No comments:

Post a Comment